Built in 1897, these three steel spans replaced a wooden railroad trestle that burned in 1896, it is
the only surviving original bridge on the F&CC line. When the railroad was dismantled they decided the state would have to put in a detour around where this bridge was because they were going to tear it down and recycle the steel.
The Florence Refiner on May 14, 1901 recounts a train wreck here: On Saturday morning, May 11, 1901, freight train No. 69 ran away at the Steel Bridge. Nine loaded ore cars and the engine left the track and piled upon one another in a tangle of ore, twisted iron and timber. The engineer died and the head brakeman was seriously injured.
Listen to a narrative about Adelaide bridge: